Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Show me the successes

A post over on reality-based educator go me thinking about the veracity of the other side of the WoT argument. RBE’s post, "Hastert Issues A "Bold" Message", focused on a message from House Speaker Denny Hastert on why a vote for Democrats will kill you (and the bold face of the type is in Hastert's original message):

"The disruption of this terror scheme follows a number of great successes that America and its allies have had against those looking to do us harm. Today's victory serves as a vivid and shocking reminder that we must always be vigilant in fighting the Global War on Terror. Freedom is never free, and we must never be complacent in defending it."

Ignoring the politics of the statement, because the politics are really making the waters muddy on this issue, I would be interested to know what these “number of great successes that America and its allies have had against those looking to do us harm” really are.

I know what they are not. I know they don’t include Iraq or Afghanistan which are increasingly clearly failed campaigns.

I know it is not domestic security in the US or allied countries, because we are constantly being told of the need for tougher and more draconian laws, laws which impinge on everyone’s rights and freedoms, in order to control the apparently escalating threat.

I know it has nothing to do with international stability, because tensions are steadily rising around the globe. Witness, for example, Israel/Lebanon, or the instability on the Indian sub-continent and the Horn of Africa; witness the growing intercine struggle in the Muslim world.

Those are some of the negative indicators, and I concede that I could be blind to the positive ones, the ‘great successes’. But I’m fair, I’m open to consider the positives if anyone is willing to show me.

I don’t mean another polemic either, but actual examples of successes in the war on terror.

6 comments:

Praguetwin said...

They got them al-Qaida wannabes in the U.K. Other than that, I really don't know.

Cartledge said...

God one froggy. Last time I ask you for serious help! :)

Lew Scannon said...

They did just capture those Muslims in Michigan who bought the 100 cell phones. Oh wait, it turns out they weren't linked to any terrorist conspiracy at all.
I think Hastert's definition of success is how successful the Republicans have used terror to tighten their grip on the American voter.

Cartledge said...

I'm through with you guys. Just when I decide Americans have no sense of humour you can't give me a straight answer!

Reality-Based Educator said...

WOT victories: The Miami "Islamo-fascists" who were actually Southern Baptists who were thinking about perhaps becoming Islamo-fascists and blowing up the Sears Tower. That's one victory that makes me sleep easier at night. And the Holland Tunnel thing to. Even though those terrorists had no passports, plane tickets, explosives, knowledge of explosives or the moeny to obtain any of those things, they were clearly an imminent threat that needed to be taken care.

God bless Denny, god bless the froggy and god bless us all, every one, except for the terrorist lovers and the alqaeda types and the Lamont voters.

Cartledge said...

et tu rbe?