Tuesday, August 22, 2006

It comes in threes

Israeli soldiers shoot three Hizbollah gunmen

Israeli troops shot and wounded three Hizbollah guerrillas in southern Lebanon on Monday, an Israeli army spokesman said, as the army maintained positions in the territory ahead of a planned pullout.

Al Arabiya television reported that three Hizbollah fighters were killed in the clash and four Israeli soldiers were wounded. (Scotsman)

Talk about coming in threes! What fascinated me were the euphemisms, three of them, for Hezbollah combatants. (I just made it four!)

Remember these were the guys who tied Israel down for five weeks? Bloodied they might have been, but they weren’t bowed.

However you view their legitimacy, the Hezbollah have earned their stripes. Gunmen sounds like they are some kind of gangsters rather than, and guerrillas is the term they used as a put down for Vietnamese soldiers.

Fighters is marginally better, but lets face it, uniforms or not, these are well disciplined military combatants. Playing with words doesn’t take the sting out of their bite.

Side note: Yes, I’ve changed it again. I got sucked into the Blogger beta upgrade. The only positive is that I have my real estate back; I hate the half page thing. But I’ll try and leave it alone for a bit now.

1 comment:

Cartledge said...

That brings them out of the woodwork! I checked the scoreboard, what it proves is that I'm not blinded by wishful thinking.
I do worry about people who cannot accept reality, but there is not much I can do about it :(