Sunday, June 04, 2006

Diversion: Blair shows the way

TONY Blair is backing a controversial plan to provide a state funeral for one of the Labour Party's most reviled enemies of recent decades: Margaret Thatcher.

Scotland on Sunday can reveal that civil servants have been working for months on the details of Baroness Thatcher's funeral, even though there is no suggestion the 80-year-old is suffering from any life-threatening condition.


Never mind that she is not planning on popping her clogs anytime soon, let’s start a good side debate to distract from the main game.

Personally I don’t have a problem giving the old battleaxe baroness a state funeral. The sooner the better, and take the socially divisive policies and bury them with her. Better still, burn them!


But I don’t think that’s exactly what Tony has in mind. He has followed the Thatcher agenda faithfully, more faithfully than her own party ever did.

No, this is just a bullshit side show to take the heat off, get the country raging about something other than his dying government. Not bad though, I bet it works.

6 comments:

Cartledge said...

Good point, which leads me to another thought.
Messrs Bush and Blair have really let the old mentors Regan and thatcher down badly.
The mentors won their wars of course, because they follow the first principles of the bully: never pick on someone you can't beat.

NYC Educator said...

Give me planning funerals over gay marriage any day.

Praguetwin said...

NYC was thinking along the same lines as I was. As Cartledge points out, this is "bullshit sideshow", just like the gay marriage and flag burning issues which are being carted out as a distraction.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what the controversy is about. I'm no W fan. But when the Adolescent in Chief's time comes to meet his maker, we ought to at least pay to bury the bastard. I just hope I'm around to enjoy the moment.

(Damn, have I just made myself a 'person of interest'?)

Praguetwin said...

Being a person of interest is an honor. I love it when I get hits on my blog from the Pentagon. It makes me feel important. ;)

Reality-Based Educator said...

There must be so may "persons of interest" in the country these days that I seriously doubt the administration that couldn't get ice down to New Orleans can keep track of 'em all.

At least that's what I'm telling myself.