Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Coalition has already tossed the Geneva Convention

I posted a story yesterday on the Pentagon’s intention to unilaterally “omit” parts of the Geneva Convention.

The gist of the story is that proscriptions on humiliating and degrading treatment be ignored.

According to a report by The Los Angeles Times, the decision could terminate a lengthy debate within the Defense Department but would not become final until the Pentagon makes the new guidelines public.

However, the State Department has strongly opposed the military and has been pushing for the Pentagon and White House to reconsider, the paper said.

Apparently, for all the political two-step, it has already started, as far as the coalition forces are concerned, it’s all bets off!

Unfortunately for those Pentagon guys in their cute uniforms and penchant for the sadism bit of S&M, their Canadian counterparts have been less cautious in explaining the issue.

Lieutenant-General Michel Gauthier, who heads the Canadian Expeditionary Forces Command, has said:

"They are not entitled to prisoner-of-war status but they are entitled to prisoner-of-war treatment." He argued that the Convention's provisions "apply in an armed conflict between states," not in the situation in Afghanistan.

I rant and rave about the way US policies infiltrate and corrupt my countries, Australia and Canada. I’ve no doubt the Australian military have adopted this plan with glee, although they are always a good deal more circumspect on contentious issues.

I suspect that had our Canadian warrior not run off at the mouth about this, there would have been no signal at all from the Pentagon. Less said sooner forgotten, or however they operate.

Doesn’t it make you feel proud that your government and your military are a pack of lying, conniving, sadistic bustards?

3 comments:

Cartledge said...

nice catch :)

Cartledge said...

I'm sure you are right, and I'm sure that must excuse one rather large country from observing any kind of civilised standards.
Equally, it probably answers just why that country is building such a poor reputaion internationally.
That is a shame, because I don't believe the people deserve the shame being perpetrated in their name.
On the other hand, it does not excuse my countryies, Australia and Canada.

Anonymous said...

J0kerr, I don't think your comments are correct. The US did sign the Geneva Convention. Also, Article 3, the one that the Pentagon is considering omitting regarding 'humiliating and degrading treatment,' specifies that it includes "Persons taking no active part in the hostilities..." - in other words, its scope is broader than uniformed fighters.

If I'm wrong (not the first time), please give me a link to set me stragiht. Here is the info I'm citing.