Thursday, December 28, 2006

Daze after Christmas

For those of you with an interest in technical issues I can commend a new blog – Let’s Talk Geek - Gorn would love to hear what some of you think about the Vista development, but might also be helpful is resolving odd M/S issues.

I might get my brain and life into gear soon, return to a more regular time slot.

The past few days (felt like six months) were spent just South of Brisbane, too often in the company of a knowledge network/lunchroom gossip ‘expert’ on everything.

It will take my already battered mind a few days to recover that ordeal.

I keep reminding myself that is probably a good thing to be exposed to those people who take their information at random, ignore obvious contradictions, champion all encompassing leaps of generalisation and will not be told different.

As a Canadian friend was fond of saying – “you can tell an Australian, but you can’t tell him much…” But they are everywhere, those who make no attempt to think, yet are convinced the meanderings of their minds, and the dubious conclusions, are unassailable.

We see them around the blogs often enough – logic is obviously the enemy of real thinking for those noisy birds.

Also- GP Background Stories has been restored, though it won’t be getting much attention in the near future.

6 comments:

Reality-Based Educator said...

I read that some serious security flaws have already been found in Vista. What have you heard so far, cartledge?

I decided after this year's Microsoft follies that I'm moving to Apple next time around. Is there any reason to stick w/ Microsoft or will Vista just be more of the same?

Cartledge said...

RBE, I haven’t liked the concept from the outset, but I can promise you that Gorn is in the front line and can give you a better idea of the issues.
I’ve always been Apple or Linux, though often forced into M/S. I must say they are improving in the software stakes, but moving to a remote server to deliver everything still seems like a recipe for disaster.

GORN said...

Hi,
As an internal beta user for Vista RTM 6000 (unreleased version), I can definitely say there are very few flaws. The earlier Vista RT1 and RT2 betas, which also came out with different builds have all been researched, re-fixed and reprogrammed to perfection. I have noticed 'differences' from XP, but they are easily learned such as the way files store. Otherwise I would say it's completely safe in my opinion; given you have 1gig of RAM, 1gig HD and at least a 1 GHz processor.

MAC is the old reliable, it is a workhorse. I create on the MAC, whether it be technical writing with animated 3D graphs, Web building or sound mixing. It has all the Microsoft Office compatibilities and is easy to use. Just don't expect it to be the communications machine that Windows is. For example, applications like remote desktop, remote access, Live Meeting, Microsoft audio/video conversations are not possible through Microsoft programs on MAC at this time. There is also no IE for MAC at this time.

Hope this helps,
Cheers

Reality-Based Educator said...

Thanks, Gorn. That was very informative. I have 2 GB of RAM, plenty of HD space and 2.6 Ghz AMD processor (was the fastest at the time when I bought it two years ago and it handles pretty well), so I'm sure I can run it. But I'm afraid it's going to be buggy for months. And even then, I have had such problems w/ XP, Microsoft and security (the Windows Genuine Advantage update has been a nightmare) that I am ready to move on to Apple when the time comes for a new computer. We have a 24/7 Apple store here in NYC and my girlfriend and I decided to purchase an Apple laptop w/ a 3 yr warranty so if and when anything goes wrong, we can just bring it right in.

Even better, as a NYC teacher in a large school, by buying Apple I get a discount AND I can avoid supporting Bill Gates' million dollar program to destroy the NYC public school system by advocating the break-up of ALL large schools into little, small "Microsoft communities" (or whatever the fuck euphemism they're using these days for the small school campaign.)

GORN said...

R-BE
As you are a teacher, Im sure your MAC will serve your purpose well. An apple a day keeps the pc doctor away.

As for the advocating of the break-up of all large schools. Please excuse my ignorance, but with the population of NYC does this mean a school on every block? I can't comprehend how they intend to promote the small farm school scenario with that many kids. I was unaware of this program and given the demographics, I wouldnt support it either.

Reality-Based Educator said...

I like the "Apple a day..." quote, Gorn.

Yes, the policy does mean a school on every block basically. One of the big problems the Dept. of Ed is having is finding qualified principals to run all the different schools they've created. For a while all the businessmen who took over the Ed Dept. figured any idiot could run a school (after all, it's just a school!), but they soon found out that is not the case. You have to have some understanding of adults, children, psychology, management, education, curriculum, etc. Unfortunately many of the business people they've brought in to run things aren't doing so well at the job.