Friday, October 07, 2005

God told me to invade, says Bush

The claim comes from the first meeting between the US leader, the Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas (also known as Abu Mazen), and his then foreign minister in June 2003.The ministers say that Mr Bush also revealed to them that he had been told by God to create a Palestinian state, according to a new BBC series.
"God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan'. And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq . . .' And I did.
"And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East'.
"And by God I'm gonna do it."
I am still hoping this is a clever satirical piece, but I rather doubt it. The religiosity which pervades the American culture shows all the hallmarks of the fanatical zealots. Those traits which drive the terrorism the USA claims to be fighting.
The unsettling aspect is the ability of the US to drag other, less fanatical nations with it. Not through truth, through any tangible evidence of a need to act, but through lies and deception underwritten by religious revelation.
Not that I am saying revelation in and of itself in particularly invalid. But who is this GOD George talks with? If this GOD is so compelling, why lace his commands with subterfuge and misdirection?
I know it has been said before of Bush, but it bears repeating: "Those who the gods would destroy, they first make mad." Mad, as insane!

No comments: