Sunday, December 30, 2007

Guantanamo detainee sort of free

“CONVICTED terrorism supporter David Hicks was in hiding last night after walking from Yatala prison without apologising for his crimes.” The Australian

Trust a Rupert Murdoch rag to put the boot in as soon as Hicks is finally, more or less, released from custody. Under strict control order conditions, Hicks has to be fingerprinted by South Australian Police within 24 hours of his release.

He also must abide by a midnight to 6am curfew and is banned from using telephones or internet servers not pre-approved by Australian Federal Police. He must also attend an Adelaide police station three times a week, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

Having ensured this dubious liberty the Guantanamo apologists now want Hicks to risk breaking plea bargain conditions to satisfy their morbid support for the now discredited anti-terrorist regime.

"As part of my conditions of release from Guantanamo Bay, I agreed not to speak to the media on a range of issues before March 30, 2008. It's my intention to honour this agreement as I don't want to do anything that might result in my return there. So for now, I will limit what I have to say. I will say more at a later time.''

The truth is Hicks made the most minimal guilty plea to escape the place, a plea of supporting terrorism. He might well be waiting now for the opportunity to repudiate that plea rather than apologise for something for which he is not guilty.

On the other hand he has made it clear he just wants to get on with life, and might avoid comments altogether. Either way he is legally bound, for now, to make no comment on the issue. I would like to see a book come out of this, but under Australian law he can’t profit from it.

Finally, he did say in a statement that he recognised "the huge debt of gratitude that I owe the Australian public for getting me home'. I will not forget or let you down,'' he said. He also thanked his lawyers, various politicians and organisations that had lobbied for his fair treatment.

5 comments:

enigma4ever said...

I really do feel bad for him...I still think GITMO is sooo wrong, criminal really....it should never have happened and should have been closed years ago...hideous...
I feel so sorry for him and his family...I hope that they can help him heal and take care of him, I worry that all of this monitoring will only make him sicker....( I am sure he has PTSD....)

I am so sorry....

( many here also wrote letters and mad calls and tried to advocate for him....)

Anonymous said...

It'll be interesting to hear what he has to say. But I'm not clear if he is free to speak about what happened to him at Gitmo. He can't talk to the press for a year, but I'm not sure the Gitmo restriction has an expiration.

Cartledge said...

many here also wrote letters and made calls and tried to advocate for him...
True enigma and I failed to mention the wonderful Major Michael Mori, the Marine defender of Hicks in the US.
I believe Hicks is suffering from agoraphobia or some such and likely other issues stemming from his experience.

Abi, apparently he is free to talk after March. Some believe he will actually challenge the guilty plea, or at least his lawyers are suggesting it. I’m thinking, the state he is currently in, he might prefer to simply try and get on with life. The whole thing scared the hell out of him. He has been suggesting, through his father, that he wants to do a Uni course. Maybe international law so he can fight for himself?

enigma4ever said...

I saw him leaving , and one of the videos- he clearly had a tic...that to me is PTSD ...I also was reading an American Blog ( Human Rights Person)....and they said that the agoraphobia was used to place him in Solitary alot- to isolate him- it is unclear if he really does have it- or is it a trumped up Medical Diagnosis by the Military...( it is also a diagnosis that could have led to him being medicated...that can be good and bad..)

Anyways...I signed petitions in three states for his release, and made calls to Senators etc..( actually got in a bit of a row with Some Poor Soul in Feinstien's Office in Ca. about this whole thing...she was so stupid...that was back in 2004) My son kept saying- if you sign all those petitions you will end up in Gitmo- I used to joke and tell him I look great in orange....terrible joke- I know...anyways...in Ca. they had people working on it...Here I had to dig to find anyone...I last worked on it 2005, after the 8 Brits were released., I also wrote because there were teens that were there too, I didn't just write about him...and to be honest I had kind of given up...I am so glad that he is out of that horrible place..and so ashamed that My country did this to him....

I hope and pray that he gets the care he needs....and can some how start over...

thank you for writing about him...

Cartledge said...

I look great in orange.... Urmmmm, go really well with that hair.
I will be following up soon on Hicks. Not so much him personally, I expect he wants to be left alone for now. But there are a few mouthy politicians and others here trying to make their mark off Hicks and they deserve to be talked about.