Monday, June 02, 2008

Mugabe bloody obscene

The presence of Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe at a United Nations summit on food security in Rome is "obscene", Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith said Monday. Africasia

ROME - Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe flew into Rome for a global food summit on Sunday, his first official trip abroad since elections condemned by Western and opposition leaders as fraudulent. Reuters World News

As much as the Zimbabwe situation pains me, I haven’t jumped all over the general current situation. Australia has a range of odd relationships with the country once known as Rhodesia.

I can recall when there were mixed feelings about the unilateral declaration of independence, the split from what was still the Commonwealth of British Nations. That move, in its own right, was laudable.

History invariably proves us wrong, and even though my quotes are early news I’m more than happy to have the Australian Foreign Minister call Mugabe’s Rome visit obscene; doubly when I considered my own verbal responses o the news.

No plaudits to Reuters here, but if you want a bit more info about this obscenity: Key facts about Zimbabwe's President Mugabe

No comments: