Thursday, September 22, 2005

Latham claimed his first wife was bisexual

I am, I’ve been advised, remiss in failing to refer to the seamy diaries of former Federal opposition leader, Mark Latham. I guess my first ennui would be my first excuse. Not that Latham, as I am observing from afar, has made any great impact on my conciseness, either as opposition leader or as biographer extraordinaire.
Oh well, Mark, duty calls. Here goes nothing…
As wunderkind of the Australian Labor Party and apostle to Gough himself, great things were foreseen for young Mark. Oh, he was a ‘bad boy’; he could get a headline or two, but has he got the right stuff, as our North American friends would put it.
I recall having a laugh with some Canadian friends over Latham’s suggestion that Howard was ‘brown nosing’ Bush. “So what is the difference between a brown nose and a shithead?” One of these guys asked. “It’s just a matter of perspective…”
That is something young Mark seems to have lacked from the outset, perspective. Call me old fashioned, but I was always taught, in politics, ‘don’t explain, and don’t complain!’ I believe more recent sentiments run to – ‘suck it up’ ‘get over it’ or even better in Mark’s case – ‘cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it!’
To be honest, I’ve been hard put to find a scrap of scandal, in the Latham diatribe, worthy of repeating. So what if his wife sees more in the fairer sex, I do to! Who really cares that he and a few of the cool set in parliament passed the bong? As for the ‘who touched up whom’, obviously the weed was second rate because no one seems to have had the same visions as ML.
If Latham thinks he is doing Australia a favour with his literary tantrum, he couldn’t be further from the truth. Everyone knows that out political establishment is on the nose. Reinforcing that knowledge does not advance us.
Another of my old fashioned notions is that if you set out to destroy something, at least have a viable replacement in mind. Latham is ready to destroy everything within reach and simply walk away with the pieces left on the floor.  
If anything of value is to come out of this nonsense, the second rate Australian ‘body politic’ would take a long hard look at lifting its game. You, our esteemed leaders and legislators, are a sorry lot!
Latham held out just one ray of promise, a fire in the guts. The technocrats who today call themselves politicians just don’t have it. We need representatives who believe in far more than their own petty, personal advancement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep - that pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole boring episode. A colleague asked me if I was going to buy the book, & I replied I'd already read/heard the 'good' bits in the media, & would save my money for a 'real' book.

Not so much a scandal as a big yawn. He's said some home truths about the ALP, federally & at NSW level, but as most commentators have pointed out, it's all stuff we've all heard before. What we need is for the ALP to pull its finger out & do something about reforming the party, & offering a real alternative.